Tuesday, August 20, 2013

journey of a lifetime (part II)

july 20

Well, we started today off early when we woke up at 5 AM to swim in the ocean! Unreal.

I love the little, little kids. Yang (I think it is) is a little girls with a big giggle. We played hokey pokey together today and she would not let go of me. Then, after all the lessons she came and played with me again. She stole my sunglasses and made me chase her to get them back. A little while later my other best friend, Duang, came and climbed up on me. A kid on each hip, I can't complain! We ran around and played and they just thought it was so funny to look over and see each other! What a riot.


In the afternoon I went to the old school.  I loved giving piggy back rides and running around and spinning--but mostly just to hear their giggles in my ear.

 

After we went and played soccer with the English camp. As soon as I got off the bus there, Gho (pronounced Yow) ran up to me, grabbed my hands, and went "one, two, three," and jumped up around my waist. Then she squinted her eyes really tight, which is what they do when we spin them in circles, so we spun!

 
 
 
 

I think it is so amazing that not only does this program change their lives in a big or small way, but it changes our lives. I know that for me, I have seen that there is so much more than just focusing on your small section of the world. There are far more issues and blessings in store that I have yet to discover. The best way to start a friendship is to smile and wave. I hope that I never, ever forget the difference I am personally capable of making.

july 21

There is hope! I am finally starting to learn and remember the kids' names! Pronounciation, on the other hand, is a completely different story...

Gho tracked me down pretty quick today. My favorite was this afternoon when I was a group leader she saw me through a window so she came and reached through it and called me name. She grabbed my hand through the window, then the next, then the next, until she got the door and pulled me out and gave me a hug. Later she asked the interpreter to tell me that she wants me to come back tomorrow. It's impossible not to feel loved and happy there!


july 22

Today was great! I started off at the old school doing construction (slash really just playing with the kids). It is so sweet when the kids just come up to you and lean on you and put their arms around you. At any given time I probably had at least three kids wanting to be carried. There was a little boy in a red shirt who became my buddy for the day. When I was kneeling so the girls could do my hair, him and three of his buddies just came over and hugged me. We just sat there hugging for like 10 or 15 minutes.

 

I've noticed that the way to almost everyone's hearts is through the children. I think it must be because of their innocence and simplicity. Kids have a way of looking at problems in a way that seems more manageable. They have taught me that maybe most problems can be solved starting with a smile. And hugs finish the job in the end.



Tonight we had a sort of thankimony, reflecting on the trip so far. Justin pointed out that between the two teams that have been here over the last month, there have been about 80 Americans. The last time there were 80 Americans here was during the war. What a difference. In the reasons, ideas, reactions, and feelings. We really truly are breaking down massive barriers.

july 23

Today was such a great day. I went to a "special project" we were invited to. We stopped on the side of the road, crossed the street, and ended up hiking up a trail that led to a village tucked away in the mountains. It was the first time I really, really noticed the simple and humble way these people live.  We were told to start helping move piles of dirt to make a road. But...they needed people to volunteer to play with the kids. Begrudgingly I went...okay really I was pretty excited!

This experience was a lot different than meeting with the other schools the first time. Like the other schools, the kids were super shy at first, but unlike the other schools, these village kids had never seen a white person before. They were very tentative and looked confused any time we got close to them. I was worried they wouldn't warm up and was really missing my school kids, but decided to make the best of it before running off in self-pity to move piles of sand. Eventually they did warm up to us and it became one of  my favorite experiences of the week.

 
 

I've discovered the way to a little kid's heart is by tickling, which leads to holding, and then tickling while holding, and spinning, and eventually hanging upside down from your arms, all topped off with a precious kiss.  Kid's innocence is refreshing, their shy, or outrageous giggles are infections, their smiles irresistible, and their hugs and kisses are priceless and unforgettable. As we build relationships with them, not only do we build bridges with their generation, we break down barriers with the older generations.


As I was leaving and saying goodbye, three of the older girls came over and were asking me something. I obviously couldn't understand them at all, so they tried to speak English. I got "walk" and "won" and pointing to where we had been playing. The true interpretation: they were wondering if I would coming back later! So I have to make sure I get to go back tomorrow!


july 24

Happy Pioneer Day, Utah! Okay, Joanna just pointed out that we haven't even thought about pioneers all day. Well that's cause we were so busy. And in Vietnam, not Utah. It's not quite as big of a deal here.

Anyway...I got to go back to road construction today! We handed out little packs of crayons and construction paper, which the kids loved. So did some adults. A cute man (weird that I just called him cute, I just adore everyone here so they are all cute...) but a cute manly man came over and colored a picture as well.

 

One of the highlights of my day was when Hung made me actually go do construction and work (which I almost haven't done any of the whole trip, if you haven't noticed). I had a little fan club following me around and cheering me on as I ran wheel barrows full of cement up and down the hill. They kept asking if I was tired yet (their hint that I should go back and play, but honestly I don't know which job is more exhausting!)

While I was helping with construction, it was neat to see how the people worked together so harmoniously and just fill in wherever help is needed. The men were so impressed when I would come dump cement, up and down , up and down.

After I finished working, I went back to play with a little trail of kids. My sweet little baby fell asleep on me. Snoring and everything! I died. Again as I was leaving, the kids came running over and asked if I was coming back later, or tomorrow. I had to say no and it broke my heart. They followed me out and said goodbye. All waving from the top of the hill, and then running down to wave at the bus door.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment